Wednesday, October 31, 2012

So I Painted My Son's Nails

So  Boo (she is one of my Moms) is staying with me through Thursday to entertain the child while I'm off doing GOTV (Get Out The Vote) since the hubby had to go out of town. On Monday night we thought, "Hey, let's paint our nails black with that crackle crap for Halloween!"

So while finishing up her nails, my curious little boy walks over and watches me. The he says, "Mommy, paint my nails, too!"

Cue the existential parenting crisis!

Granted- I am a super bleeding heart liberal but this stopped me for a moment. He's a boy. Most little boys don't wear nail polish. If I do this, would I send him down a road that could lead to a state of being confused about his gender? If I deny him this, could I send him down a road that would lead him feeling ashamed or wrong about wanting to do something that isn't "normal?" Will people make fun of my sweet little boy? (NOTE: To be perfectly clear, the thought "of turning my son gay" never came up. I don't believe you can turn someone gay anymore than you could turn someone straight. I've never known a LGBT person that said they just woke up and wanted to live a life filled with oppression and ridicule. I could care less if son ends up gay, straight, bi whatever as long as he is happy and never stops striving towards his dreams.)

And the big one; "Kiel is going to be PISSED."

But there he was; looking at me with those big, innocent eyes, with an excited look on his face and it hit me, if I had a girl that wanted to do something that was stereo typically a boy thing, I wouldn't think twice about it, regardless of age. At 2 years old, it's not like my son has any idea of gender or sex from a psychological standpoint. And if someone is messed up enough to make fun of a toddler for having painted nails, the answer is simple- I'll fuck them up....well ok, MAYBE I won't because violence isn't good (unless they were really asking for it). But it's not like Loki would care if someone said something.  The most amazing thing about little kids is that they know what they want and they don't care what anyone has to say about it (I hope that trait stays with Loki forever).

And the big one- It's Halloween. Loki is going as a pirate. Captain Jack Sparrow has black nails, too.

So I painted my son's nails. And he loves it. I called Kiel and told him about it. He wasn't super excited about it, but he didn't flip out. Nothing has changed, except Loki has rapidly chipping black nails.

No comments:

Post a Comment