Sunday, October 28, 2012

My American Dream.

So call me optimistic, call me a spoiled generation Y-er, call me arrogant- but I fully believe that Hillary Clinton was correct in saying women can have it all. The great marriage (with accompanying great sex), beautiful children, thriving career, comfortable home, good meals, friends that have your back, active lifestyle and even time to get your hair and nails done and squeeze in a book every now and then.

THAT life- is the life that I have always wanted. I could never imagine a life with a successful career without a husband and children and I couldn't imagine having a family without having a job. I wanted to be the woman that could bring home the bacon to a loving family and still be able to layer that bacon over a roast chicken making a delicious home cooked meal.

Now I'm not a total nut job that thinks that every day of my American dream is going to be perfect. I know once a month I'm going to get PMS, bloat up like a blimp and detest every word that comes out of anyone's mouth that doesn't involve chocolate, vodka, or how unbelievably sexy sweat pants have become. I know that sometimes my kid is going to become possessed by Satan and I will have to battle my fight or flight mechanism that is screaming at me to go to the bar and let it all cool over. And I know that sometimes my career will take up the bulk of my attention, leaving me lonely and feeling as though I am missing out on my children growing up and quality snuggle time with my husband in between his frequent deployments to some shit hole country. BUT even in the midst of the rough times that I know will come, I think the validation of knowing that I CAN do everything I want to do with my life and break through the barriers that are said to hold women back from achieving their dreams is worth it.

SO....where am I at in regards to my dream?

Well..........

On June 16, 2006- I started a relationship with the man of my dreams (his name is Kiel). Kiel is in the military and is by far the best thing that ever happened to me. He makes me laugh, he loves scary movies as much as I do, and we just get each other. I'm not going to say our marriage has been perfect- we have gone through some rough times- but we both agreed that our marriage is forever and that we would always get through our struggles together.

On December 30, 2009- We had a baby boy (Loki). Kiel watched (at least up until the emergency c-section) via webcam while he was deployed (which sucked....a lot). My Moms (yes, I have two Moms- they plan on getting married this December) and my sister were there for the birth, then my wonderful in laws looked after me and then my dad looked after me (they all flew out to Vegas, where I live- AWESOME family- that also helps with the whole having it all thing- SUPPORT).

In January 2010 (while Kiel was deployed, and Loki and I returned to our hometown near Washington, D.C. to be near family)- I took an internship with Democratic National Committee. I had graduated college, had a deep fascination with politics, needed something to do while Kiel was gone and mostly- because they accepted me into the program. Once we returned to Vegas and Kiel got home- I started working on campaigns which is what I'm doing now as a Campaign Manager for two members of the Nevada State Assembly. I have no idea what I will be doing for work after the election...hopefully I am able to keep this whole political thing going because I really really love it.

I tend to cook dinner most evenings (crock pot helps), but if I get too swamped with work, my house gets really messy really quickly. I still have some baby weight lingering around my stomach and it went on to mix with some campaign weight and my hair is in need of coloring (appointment is made for after the election),

So there it is. I think I basically knocking on my dream's door, but with the election less than 10 days away soon I will be back to being unemployed. I'm looking forward to taking a bit of a breather before starting my next job, I just don't want it to be too long. As much as I love staying home and raising my son- it's fulfilling to me- I WANT IT ALL!


BTW: This is NOT to trash stay at home moms in any way shape or form. I know quite a few women that have taken on the task of raising their children and keeping a lovely home. It's their choice and they kick ass. It's just not MY choice. Those that know me, know that I'm a bit of a slob. Keeping house is just not my thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment