So my dear husband is getting ready to leave for his fourth deployment. Now he prepares himself for this 6 month suck fest differently than I do- bingeing on his favorite food, spending as much money as he can, making sure there is a current power of attorney and that our wills are updated, picking out pictures and Loki's artwork to take with him...stuff like that. I tend to do it a bit differently...I usually have about three moments in the two months leading up to a deployment where I will break down and cry (I've already had two, but there's still time), I try to do things to make it less difficult for Loki- last time we got him a Build a Bear with Kiel's voice on the voice box and a story book with a recording of Kiel reading the story, this time we got him a new story book (it's an Elmo one- and MUCH better than that awful Elmo deployment DVD we got from Readiness last time) and we built a deployment chain (we remove one link for every day that passes, by the time it runs out, Kiel should be home):
Another thing that helps is for me to have something to focus on while the hubs is away. First deployment was supposed to be school....but it ended up being that I got a job at chili parlor and got shit faced most nights with my friends (that stuff is allowed at 22). Second deployment I was pregnant, gave birth and taking care of Loki for 2 months. Third deployment I graduated college, got an internship at the DNC and took care of Loki. So what could I do this time?
YUP. That's what I get to focus on for the next six months.And technically- this is a craft because I'm making it and stuff. I'm currently 12 week so it'll be close when Kiel gets home (and I'm totally not afraid to have the Red Cross bring him home if it won't be close enough). I'm not doing the "going back home" thing again....it's a rough gig especially with a kid. Loki is going to move around enough during his life- we can stay in our current home for another six months. I have friends here, he has friends here and I know that our friends and EOD family here will help us pull through any issues we have. And yes, I stole the picture idea from Pinterest, isn't it hilarious?
But you know what REALLY helps me? A kick ass deployment playlist to listen to. Now some women fill theirs up with sappy love songs. Mine has a few, but not a lot- I don't need to be reminded about how much I love husband- when he's gone it pretty much eats a hole in my heart. It's a pretty eclectic mix, full of music that makes me think of Kiel, music I KNOW Kiel is listening to over there, music that pumps me up, music to listen to when I'm depressed and whatever the hell else I wanted to put on there. Here's the current list- in case anyone needed some ideas or wanted to swipe it:
Rocket Man (I Think It's Going to Be a Long Long Time)- Elton John
Wish You Were Here- Pink Floyd
Almost Easy- Avenged Sevenfold
Bad Company- Finger Death Punch
Burning Bright- Shinedown
The Deep End- Crossfade
Duck and Run- Three Doors Down
Every Day Is Exactly the Same- Nine Inch Nails
Gimme Shelter- The Rolling Stones
Hands in the Sky (Big Shot)- Straylight Run
I Will Not Bow- Breaking Benjamin
I Will Wait- Mumford & Sons
If I Ever Leave This World Alive- Flogging Molly
In the Air Tonight- Phil Collins (THIS SONG SHOULD BE ON EVERY PLAYLIST REGARDLESS)
Little Heaven- Toad the Wet Sprocket (BECAUSE WHAT WOULD BUFFY DO?)
My Hero- Foo Fighters
One- Metallica
The Show Goes On- Lupe Fiasco
Still Counting- Volbeat
Safe and Sound- Taylor Swift
Sail-AWOLNATION
Call Me- Blondie (ANY MILITARY WIFE WILL TELL YOU THE PHONE IS GLUED TO US WHEN THEY ARE DEPLOYED)
Dancing With Myself- Billy Idol
Wait for Me- Rise Against
Also, if many of you notice that I start referring to the future (namely October and beyond) it's because I basically just kind of go on autopilot and get through this crap. Of course that might be different with a three year old and a spastic dog that I'm determined to train to not be such a weirdo, but I do notice that I laugh a lot less when Kiel isn't here. So please feel free to send me any side splitters you come across, because I'll probably be in need of a good laugh.
.jpg)

No comments:
Post a Comment